Friday, January 24, 2014

Book: I am Malala: The girl who was stood up for education and was shot by the taliban

If you are one of what I hope is the few people that do not know who Malala Yousafzai is than I think you should go look her up right away. If you are on the people who has been following her october 9 2012 than you know how truly amazing she is. If you have been following her since before that time than I give you a high five.
I am not a fan of non-fiction. I personally believe that seeing what a human will do when given a chance to create a world, when given that power is far more ineteresting than a true story. A  non-fiction story only gives you one side. But having watched Malala's many interviews lately I knew that hers was a book I had to read.
For me the most interesting part of the book was how much of it has to do with Malala's father and his love for her. Reading the book you also get a very clear history of a part of the world that many of us do not know enough about. What we see on the news is very one sided. It only tells us the terrible things. So rarely showing us the beauty and hope that lives in these places. And the history of it all makes Malala's story even more amazing.
But for the most imported part of the book is how it reminds me of all the things we live with and never think about.   It also reminds us grateful we should be to have the schools we do. And for me as women to see how lucky I am. Going to school with its homework and stress can be hard. But knowing that there are some many girls out there that would love to have the choices and the freedoms I do are amazing.
Also seeing how "normal" malala is made me hope that other people read the book and finally have a face and voice to put to this. To see that not all people from Pakistan are evil or members of the taliban as some people ( and in the case of NCIS: LA ) would have you believing. For me this is not so much a reviews as a praise to Malala and the wonderful changes she has made on my own life just by being her. And praise to her father for his choice to let Malala be free no matter her gender, and guiding her.
This is by far my top pick of a book. I think it is one we should all take the time to read. It will help give us a greater understanding of both Malala and the middle east.

( Non-fiction 11 and up )
Stars: * * * * * 5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be sure to write back as soon as I can so try to check back. and feel free to ask to me any questions you have :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails